“‘Black Panther’ Is Not the Movie We Deserve!”- Response

Christopher Lebrons interpretation of the movie “Black Panther” surprised me. Less than a month of being out in theaters the movie, made a billion dollars. His analysis of the movies was very interesting and his point of view was different from most. Many individuals considered this a movie that promoted African American culture. The way he analyzed was as if this movie degraded it in a way. For example when he says “In the United States, he learns of the racism black Americans face, including mass incarceration and police brutality….., and he plots to develop weapons using vibranium to even the odds for black Americans.” He gave me a whole other perspective of the movie. We watch movies and we are quick to categorize the villain and the hero, and in this case there can be both.  N’Jobu, the father of Killmonger, were categorized as these bad guys. Yes, N’Jobu was using the vibranium to make weapons, but those weapons were going to be used to help African Americans against those who terrorize them. T’Chaka, HIS OWN brother ends up murdering him, leaving his son without a father. His analysis made me think. He also mentions how there always has to be a white savior. T’Challa was able to confide in a C.I.A spy, whose job is to be deceitful, but he couldn’t confide in his cousin.He couldn’t confide in his cousin, who grew up with no father. Instead he kills him. Doesn’t killing N’Jobu just clarify the stereotypes against African-Americans? T’Chaka, leader of Wakanda, kills his own brother, and refuses to aid the foreign who also struggle. “There is no reconciliation. Killmonger yanks the spear out of his chest and dies. The sun sets on his body as it did on Michael Brown’s.” The way he uses a real experience is powerful. N’Jobu was killed by his brother, and the movie ends with T’Challa killing his cousin. Killmonger meets the same death as his father. There was no saving him.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Anahis Garcia
    I also found this very interesting! In the beginning of the text I thought he was trying to commemorate the movie for trying to diversify the cinematic heroes, but as you stated it seemed to be a failure. Your interpretation of what the article was trying to portray really hit the hammer on the nail. I completely agree with the fact that the portrayal of the white savior, which completely defeats the purpose of trying to integrate African culture. Overall, great interpretation!