Kayla Cason – “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me, What Is?” by James Baldwin – Response

James Baldwin’s op-ed “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me, What Is?” was a piece I did not realize I needed to read.  My initial reaction to the title was bewilderment yet great interest in discovering what Baldwin wanted to convey. Once I began to read, I felt myself connecting with Baldwin and agreeing with and understanding his stance on the comprehension of African American culture in America.  In this op-ed, Baldwin explains how the creation of a language “ comes into existence by means of necessity, and the rules of the language are dictated by what the language must convey” (Baldwin 2). The creation of Black English is a prime example of this. According to Baldwin, the force that drove the establishment of Black English was the significant language barrier between slaves imported into the U.S.  Because they derived from a variety of African tribes and nations, they were unable to effectively communicate with each other in order to maintain a community and survive. This “brutal necessity” of surviving in a foreign land as a slave drove Black people to develop their own language. However, there are people who do not acknowledge the existence of Black English. To this, Baldwin challenges them in explaining the circumstances that force a new language to come about, and how the severeness of slavery was enough to be an exigence for the development of Black English.  

One of the several points Baldwin makes that caught my attention was his analysis on African Americans’ lack of education throughout history.  He states “ The brutal truth is that the bulk of of white people in American never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes . . .” (Baldwin 2).  Captivatingly, Baldwin emphasizes the truth about the historic relationship between White and Black Americans. Black America’s ignorance was not a product of their own choices and actions but the result of the constant belittling and suppression from White America.  The refusal to provide the same education to African Americans was a tool used to keep White people in power. Educated people of color, even in today’s society, are a threat to the power of white supremacy in America.

Comments ( 4 )

1. Michelle Ortiz
    This quote surprised me. I have always thought that teachers will always want the best for the students and James Baldwin made me realize that that is not always the case. People of color have always been taught American history from a white person's perspective. White Americans have never really wanted Black Americans to gain power, to be intelligent, to gain strength because that would cause a threat to White America and white people's power in this country and that is why they choose to teach people of color the way they do. I love how you say "Black America’s ignorance was not a product of their own choices and actions but the result of the constant belittling and suppression from White America." I most definitely agree! Great job.
    • Kayla Cason
      Thank you! Glad you understand and agree with my views. :)
  2. Tyara De Jesus
    Good job! I agree with your response. I also find this quote powerful. “ The brutal truth is that the bulk of of white people in American never had any interest in educating black people, except as this could serve white purposes . . .” (Baldwin 2). He knew that the only intentions white people had with educating black people, was to take advantage of them, it would fulfill their needs. It is so much easier to get someone to do what you want them to do if they can understand you. They had power because they were able to control black people. Your response is thorough, and I love all your points!
  3. Jamirka De León
    I really love your response and the way you analyzed that quote. I found this quote interesting as well and how Baldwin uses the definition of language to illustrate the actual reality of the past. I agree with everything you said and I think you did a great job at getting to the point and summing up Baldwin's points in the article.